DaKor.Net

Go Back   DaKor.Net > Public > General Discussion

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2006, 07:58 AM   #1
Ogmuk
Administrator

Default Oblivion

I think its time to make a thread for this game since we all seem to be playing it a lot. I think it's a great game with a few flaws, hopefully next generation games take care of those flaws. I really hope some D&D game will be made using this engine as I dislike this game's leveling system. You actually want to have gimp skills as your major skills (major skills are the ones you skill up to level) so you can control when you level.

Most important tip for those new to this game: you do not want to level until you have gained 10 skill points in a certain attribute to get a 5x multiplier when you level. To be more specific; if you will be meleeing a lot do not take hand to hand, blunt or blade as a major skill. Rather take Conjuration, summon a zombie and level up weapon skills as they use strength. For example 3 hand to hand, 3 blunt and 4 blade will put you on 10 points in skills which use strength. Now after you got 3x 5 multiplier for 3 different skills (for example strength, endurance and willpower) you level up and get 15 points in 3 attributes.

This is why I think the leveling system is gimp, since you do not want to level fast as you will be throwing away too many point and you will find enemies to be much harder if you do not level properly like this, as they will always level up with you. It's lame that you have to pick skills as major which you won't be using all the time if you want to get the best out of your character.

I easily managed to level a newbie caster character to level 30+ in a couple hours of playing with just the arena quest and idly casting spells in between fights, gaining a few levels even when not fighting at all, but you will be gimping your character like this.

My current major skills (for a melee based character):

Armorer
Alteration
Conjuration
Destruction
Acrobatics
Marksman
Merchantile

Again, you want skills you can control so you level up as slow as you want to. If you will be playing a mage throwing fireballs to targets, you do not want Destruction as major as you will be leveling too fast. Blocking, Light/Heavy Armor and such you do not want as major either for the same reason. These will fly up and you could get a level from just 1 mob, no matter how high your skills are (pre 100).

WTB a D&D game using this engine! Or some really skilled people to make a mod for this, although I heard in its current state its impossible to import 3D models into the game. So probably can't mod very much with it.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
Nagrash

Default Re: Oblivion

Oks,

Quick explanation about the leveling system.

You level when you raise any combination of major skills 10 times.
When you level, you can place a stat point in any 3 different stats.
However, based on what skills are raised, you get a multiplyer (x1-x5).

How the multiplier is determined:

Every Skill is associated with a stat: ex. Blade is associated with str.

Whenever you raise a major skill, you get 1 "point" towards a multiplier. There is no maximum to the amount of points a major skill can contribute to the multiplier.

Whenever you raise a minor skill, you get 1 "point" towards a multiplier. However, there is a 4 "point" maximum for each minor skill.

When you level, it adds all the points for the different stats, divides by 2, and gets a multiplier.

Example:

You have Heavy Armour and Destruction as major skills. You have armourer, restoration,and alteration as minor skills.

You raise heavy armour 6 times and Destruction 4 times during a level. You raise armourer 4 times, restoration 4 times, and alteration 6 times during this same time.

Heavy Armour = Endurance
Armour = Endurance

Destruction = WillPower
Alteration = Willpower
Restoration = Willpower

Endurance = 6 Points +4 points = 10 points/2 = x5 multiplier
Willpower = 4 points, + 4 points, + 4 points = x5 Multiplier (cannot go higher, even though the total was 12 points).
Nagrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
Mulberry

its pretty easy to level up the casting skills. weapons are harder since you cant grind them infinitly. i like to take one weapon skill, and then train/grind hand to hand or blunt to get the maximum out of them. kinda sucks how much mana each spell costs imo

dark brotherhood has some sick rewards

fighters, thieves and mage guilds has less up front rewards then dark brotherhood for the early quests. havent made it to far in them though. mage guild allows you to enchant and make spells at highert levels though

armorer is nuts as a skill. i didnt appreciate it until i started using it on my second character as a minor but it levels up really fast, and endurance is a huge stat. you need to hit endurance 100 as quick as you can to maximize its potential since it doesnt increase your hp everytime you gain more enduance, only when youl evel up.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
Annah

Send a message via MSN to Annah

the game doesn't have any advantage to levelling fast.
Picking a spellcaster skill as a major skill then levelling it up to gain levels will gimp you in the end.

All quests and encounters in the game are based off your levels.

For example, if you're a melee character with spells as major skills, and you level up to 20 by casting newbie spells. You will suck, you're melee skills will be so low you can't really handle the monsters you encounter.

Same thing if you're a thief, your sneak skill will be low you have no chance in hell to avoid detection from level 20 critters when you have to sneak to steal. Now sneak is easy to powerlevel i know, but still.

It's better to put major skills into skills you use mainly.
Sure, your blade skill goes up way slower then alteration, but if you level up casting spells, that makes you a spell caster, not a melee.

Your stats will be kinda fucked up too.

Levelling system i don't really like, but it's not really bad. Since if you play your character based on the skills you picked, you'll end up good. you can still skill up other skills to get the stuff you need.

Also some tricks to get skill ups.

Security. Go to one of the fences (you get access to those joining thief guild), buy all their lockpicks, they all carry 100. Find a very hard lock (5 tumblers) and pick 4 of em, then fail the 5th, keep doing that and you can get to 50 security fast.

Light/Heavy Armor, Just let something beat on you while healing youself, (also good to skill up Restoration). Can do this with blocking too, get a light/heacy shied and just block everything.

Sneak. Just strip naked and find a bunch of people, preferbly turned their back on you, sneak up to em until you're detected, then itch back. then moe sideways back and forth, sneak will fly up.

Spell casting. Just cast spells, you don't have to hit anything or whatever, just cast em.

Acrobatics, jump, all over, all the time.

Mercantile. Sell shit, give it away, etc. it will go up.

Speech craft, can just find whoever. use the persuation to get him up to 50, then piss him off so it goes down to 0, then redo it. goes up fast.

Athletics, goes up alot quicker swimming than running.

Weapon skills are a pain to skill up, but you can attack dummys and such to skill it up, it will be slower then attacking actual mobs tho.
a Trick is to do the everscamp staff quest, you'll have 4 scamps following you that you can beat down. counts as a normal mob, they respawn quick.
so if you're bored, go for it.
Can also grab a low damage weapon and just use that like a replica, more swings means more skill.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Terendil

Send a message via AIM to Terendil

now that 4 people have explained the leveling system im more confused then ever,

'a man with two watches never knows what time it is'

Yoshi > Toadstool

Need Innervate?
Terendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
Demetrius
Da`Kor

Toadstool > all
Demetrius Marsupial - GW2 (Maguuma) Active!
------------------------------------------------
Demetrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
Vittra
Da`Kor

Ogmuk's approach is correct in the way that you have complete control over your character in terms of when he levels, personally if I went that route I would switch some things as like Alchemy in there since its a pretty powerful skill.

However that isn't how I do it. The alternate way is to pick the race that plays to your "Class" or more specifically PLAYSTYLE of what you want to do.

Very simply, this means pick the Race that has skill bonuses in what you want to do. The name of the game in this case is to start with those skills as high as possible and get them to 100 (Master) as quick as possible. Since they are majors yes, you may level quickly, but thats the whole point.

As an example, an Orc Warrior has a significant advantage over a say a Dark Elf for melee - His racial Skill bonuses are +10 Armorer, +10, +10 Blunt, +10 Heavy Armor, +5 HtH. 4 of those 5 skills are Majors you would most likely have as a warrior and are +10s, if you are Combat specialized you just started with 4 skills at 45 already, only 5 away from Apprentice Rank. Redguards and Nords have better starting STATS though.

Another thing. Melee and Stealth focused chars cannot pick all 7 majors within those spheres without "gimping" themselves as some skills are useless and so most of us end up being hybrid-like. This is not true of a Pure Mage, they can select all 7 spellcasting schools without any real penalty as the schools cover all aspects of the game, so think about that aswell.

I'm a Dark Elf btw, I play the game for fun the first time around, don't care if the char is gimped

Leveling quickly WILL make the game harder if your combat skills. I know because it was extremely tough as I intentionally picked Athletics/Acrobatics as majors and I sailed through the first 20 levels and the Daedra were kicking my ass till Blade/Heavy Armor caught up. But one thing to keep in mind is uou do not *have* to get 5x multis, your char will be just fine with 2x/3x if you don't want to spend alot of time thinking about that.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
Drunklight
Da`Kor

just dont make a spellcaster wiht major spells exept destruction(Thats abit harder to levelup)

i made that mistake.. had master conjur/alter/mystic befor my blade and destruction hit 50....

i was owned by every mob in the game :P

made a new character, having much more fun, and totally ignoreing levels bonuses aslong as i can kill stuff im okay !
(btw.. try raising the game to hardest difficutly.... a rat would 2 shot you!)
Drunklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:07 PM   #9
Law

Like Annah said, leveling doesn't matter in this game. All of the mobs in the game have equal level to you. The point of the game as I find it, is to complete all the quests you can. As your skills level up, things get a little easier, but you get major boosts from doing quests. I found a shrine quest that gave me a skeleton key. Having the skeleton key makes the security skill totally irrelevant because the key NEVER breaks, so you just spam the automatic attempt button on every lock.

Just use the trainers you find to increase your skills 5 times every level for just gold instead of spamming.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
Slayne
Da`Kor Council

Send a message via AIM to Slayne

Kvaj at level 15 sucked ass, I can tell you that much. Those lizard croc things were a walking pounding of disaster.
Slayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
Ogmuk
Administrator

Does anyone know a trick how to train Merchantile quick without hax? I've been training Alchemy and Merchantile at the same time by buying tons of food, making potions out of them and selling them 1 by 1 with the biggest possible haggle but it still levels painfully slow because having to slide the slider to 1 is very annoying. Buying and selling an item worth 2 gold pieces is another 'easy way' but still very slow and very boring.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #12
Mulberry

so thats where youve been all day
Old 04-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #13
Artanis

<3 Oblivion mods.

My paladins new armor

Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #14
Vittra
Da`Kor

1) Daedric looks better
2) Paladins suck
3) Refer to 2 again.

:O.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #15
Ogmuk
Administrator

Custom class name doesn't even accept classes as long as Shadowknight.

Btw, this is a nice trick I use to train Block, Light/Heavy Armor and Armorer:

Collect or buy like 3 sucky daggers. Go into the dungeon right in front of the sewers you left, after the tutorial area, aggro the guy and zone back out. Fight the guy until his weapon breaks, you can remove your armor and outrun him if you have to heal. Lay a dagger at his feet before it breaks. When his weapon breaks he will pick up the dagger and if you sheath your sword he'll go nuts (otherwise, if your weapon is not sheathed he will spend a lot of time blocking) and power level your armor real fast. Drop a new dagger at his feet before it breaks, pick up the broken ones. When you want to go level or trian other skills, just unequip armor and run + swim to the sewer you came out of. He will reset and walk back into the dungeon he came from and you can pretty much do this as long as you want to as long as you don't kill him.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #16
Mulberry

cool looking armor. i think the daedric stuff has always looked too retarded to use :S glass looks kinda dumb too
Old 04-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #17
Ogmuk
Administrator

Dwarven armor has the lamest looks of them all, I think Daedric is pretty nice. Makes me wonder why there are no dwarves, or any non-human looking races besides plastic-looking orc dolls.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #18
Vittra
Da`Kor

The dwarves (Dwemer) no longer exist. There was lore about what happened to them in Morrowind.

Edit: Forgot to add - they are NOT traditional "Dwarves", they were a different strain of Elves. Yes Elves.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #19
Mulberry

dwarves became extinct in the elderscroll world way back. i remember a quest in morrowind where you had to figure out what happened. i never figured out what happened
Old 04-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #20
Artanis

Theres only one dwemer left alive, he lives in morrowind in the same tower as that place you get the corpus disease cured i think. He's pretty much a torso attached to a mechanical body.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote