Go Back   DaKor.Net > Public > General Discussion

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
Papa

Thumbs down i KNEW it!!

EXCLUSIVE: Iranian Weapons Arm Iraqi Militia
ABC News
By JONATHAN KARL AND MARTIN CLANCY

WASHINGTON, Nov. 30, 2006 U.S. officials say they have found smoking-gun evidence of Iranian support for terrorists in Iraq: brand-new weapons fresh from Iranian factories. According to a senior defense official, coalition forces have recently seized Iranian-made weapons and munitions that bear manufacturing dates in 2006.

This suggests, say the sources, that the material is going directly from Iranian factories to Shia militias, rather than taking a roundabout path through the black market. "There is no way this could be done without (Iranian) government approval," says a senior official.

Iranian-made munitions found in Iraq include advanced IEDs designed to pierce armor and anti-tank weapons. U.S. intelligence believes the weapons have been supplied to Iraq's growing Shia militias from Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, which is also believed to be training Iraqi militia fighters in Iran.

Evidence is mounting, too, that the most powerful militia in Iraq, Moktada al-Sadr's Mahdi army, is receiving training support from the Iranian-backed terrorists of Hezbollah.

Two senior U.S. defense officials confirmed to ABC News earlier reports that fighters from the Mahdi army have traveled to Lebanon to receive training from Hezbollah.

While the New York Times reported that as many as 2,000 Iraqi militia fighters had received training in Lebanon, one of the senior officials said he believed the number was "closer to 1,000." Officials say a much smaller number of Hezbollah fighters have also traveled through Syria and into Iraq to provide training.

U.S. intelligence officials believe the number of Al-Sadr's Mahdi army now includes 40,000 fighters, making it an especially formidable force.

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ory?id=2688501
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Alecto

Default Re: i KNEW it!!

We should have taken that guy out 2 1/2 years ago. I don't know what they're thinking over there.
Alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Racthalas
Da`Kor

Send a message via AIM to Racthalas

Laying the foundation for an invasion into Iran? Nukes+possible arms supply = Bush's reason to give Iran "democracy" too =p
Racthalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
Drunklight
Da`Kor

weve been saying it for years.
its practicly common knowledge here.

/sigh
world ends 2012?
Drunklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Papa

Unhappy Re: i KNEW it!!

Sorry to be political but in case you haven't heard......

January 11, 2007 Edition > Section: National > Printer-Friendly Version
Bush Warns Iranians

BY ELI LAKE - Staff Reporter of the Sun
January 11, 2007
URL: http://www.nysun.com/article/46481
http://www.nysun.com/pf.php?id=46481

WASHINGTON President Bush says we are effectively at war with Iran.

Mr. Bush, in a much-anticipated televised speech to the nation last night, accused the Islamic Republic of "providing material support for attacks on American troops." Eschewing advice from his father's secretary of state, James Baker, to open a dialogue with Iran and Syria, the president said American forces in Iraq would "disrupt" attacks from Syria- and Iran-backed terrorists, "interrupt" the supply lines reaching back to those countries, and "seek out and destroy the networks providing advanced weaponry and training to our enemies in Iraq." That last sentence is the closest Mr. Bush has come to announcing attacks on Iranian territory, where American intelligence and military leaders have said the most destructive improvised explosives used against American convoys are made.

The new strategy yesterday also eschewed the advice of the outgoing general in charge of Central Command, John Abizaid, and committed America to a two front war to save Iraq from Shiite death squads and Al Qaeda.

The new war strategy will focus on defeating Al Qaeda forces gathered predominantly in the Anbar province of Iraq and will officially end the American-brokered talks with Sunni insurgents in Amman. A new surge of 20,000 troops, predominately for securing Baghdad, will for the first time consider members of the Shiite Mahdi Army legitimate targets in the quest to win back Iraq's capital.

The strategy is in sharp contrast to the counsel of General Abizaid, who warned against the prospect of opening a two front war in Iraq that was narrowly avoided in 2004 when American troops faced down Mahdi Army political leader, Moqtada al-Sadr. Mr. Bush said that the plan to secure Baghdad would be developed by Iraq's leaders. But he also announced that as part of the plan, American soldiers would be embedding with the Iraqi national army units sent out around Baghdad to establish regular patrols.

A Power Point summary of the new Iraq strategy released yesterday by the White House notes that Iran has been "burrowing" Iranian actors inside the Iraqi government. Yesterday a senior administration official told reporters that members of Mr. Sadr's Mahdi army would no longer be off limits. The new war strategy also contradicts the most prominent recommendation of the Iraq Study Group, co-chaired by former Secretary of State James Baker, which called for opening new negotiations with Iran and Syria and also for pressing negotiations with Israel. Indeed, Mr. Bush did not specifically mention the Arab-Israeli conflict, only referencing in passing the Middle East mission this week from Secretary of State Rice as a quest for Middle East peace.

Just as the president announced yesterday the new war plan to reinforce American soldiers in the country, America's closest ally, British prime minister Tony Blair, said he saw no need to send new troops to his country's contingent stationed in Basra. The Telegraph is reporting today that later this year the British would begin to withdraw their soldiers. Mr. Blair has long advocated for new a new Israeli-Palestinian peace initiative as part of the strategy to secure the Middle East.

On the domestic front, Mr. Bush faced a Democratic Congress in near rebellion after the leaders of both chambers announced plans to hold at least a symbolic vote on his new strategy, though it is unlikely Congress will vote to cut funding for a new troop surge through the annual budgeting process.

In the speech he announced that he would form a bipartisan working group to meet regularly on strategy for the war on terror. He credited the recommendation to Senator Lieberman, the Independent from Connecticut who was defeated by a challenger in his state's primary this September.

A growing number of Republicans have come out against a surge in troops. Yesterday, Senator Brownback, a Kansas Republican hoping to win his party's nomination for the 2008 presidential contest, said in Iraq that he did not favor a troop surge. One of Mr. Brownback's rivals for the nomination, Mayor Giuliani, yesterday said he supported increasing the troop presence in Iraq. Senator McCain and Governor Romney, other 2008 Republican hopefuls, also supported Mr. Bush's decision.

In the speech delivered from the White House library, the president said the current situation in Iraq was unacceptable. He also laid out how he believed last year's military offensive to secure Baghdad had failed. "There were not enough Iraqi and American troops to secure neighborhoods that had been cleared of terrorists and insurgents. And there were too many restrictions on the troops we did have," he said.

The new plan for Baghdad, however, is different, Mr. Bush said. "In earlier operations, political and sectarian interference prevented Iraqi and American forces from going into neighborhoods that are home to those fueling the sectarian violence. This time, Iraqi and American forces will have a green light to enter these neighborhoods and Prime Minister Maliki has pledged that political or sectarian interference will not be tolerated."

The president yesterday hammered home his view that the struggle in the Middle East was not so much sectarian as it was ideological. "On one side are those who believe in freedom and moderation," he said. "On the other side are extremists who kill the innocent, and have declared their intention to destroy our way of life." Nor did the president yesterday abandon the goal of defending an Iraqi democracy. But unlike other speeches on the war, the president was careful not to raise expectations. "Even if our new strategy works exactly as planned, deadly acts of violence will continue and we must expect more Iraqi and American casualties," he said.

He said that America's commitment in Iraq is "not open-ended," and said, "Where mistakes have been made, the responsibility rests with me."

In response to the speech, Senator Durbin, a Democrat of Illinois, said the president's plan was to send more Americans into the "crossfire of a civil war." A statement released last night from Mr. Durbin; the Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid of Nevada, the House speaker, Rep. Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat from California, and Rep. Steny Hoyer, the House Majority leader from Maryland said the president's plan "endangers our national security by placing additional burdens on our already over-extended military."

Senator Hagel, an anti-war Republican from Nebraska, said last night the president's new strategy would "sink us deeper into the bog of Iraq making it more difficult to get out."

Senator Clinton issued a statement saying she "cannot support" what she called Mr. Bush's "proposed escalation of the war in Iraq." She said the president's Iraq policy "has been marred by incompetence and arrogance."

A former chairman of the Defense Policy Board, Richard Perle, said, "It was a pretty good speech. The big question in my mind is whether we can implement some practical and prudent measures. I don't know if we can. It will depend significantly on the command in the country."

Mr. Perle said, "I don't think the additional troops are the key to the strategy he has announced, it is how effectively those troops are managed."

He said, "Bush has a decent chance of improving public opinion on this because the Democratic response was so feeble and sniping."

January 11, 2007 Edition > Section: National > Printer-Friendly Version
Old 01-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
Papa

Thumbs down Re: i KNEW it!!

Originally Posted by Drunklight View Post
weve been saying it for years.
its practicly common knowledge here.

/sigh
world ends 2012?

Politics are a pretty touchy subject, so I am just leaving it to the article.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
Racthalas
Da`Kor

Georgie playing top gun at the OK Corral, a childhood dream come true to kill off the badies no doubt. Question is, can America ever fully recover from the economic blow its taken/will take during his presidency.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
Drunklight
Da`Kor

sure it will, after the first nuclear bomb gets tosses on iran or by iran, or one malfunction there and destroys alot of ground, everybody will run to american and cry "protect us!" ...

Currently takeing bets, if iran makes nuclear weapon, where would they send the first one? israel or US?
(sorry im just being sarcastic about politics and war, side effect of living here)
Old 01-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
Racthalas
Da`Kor

I don't think any country will ever use a nuke as an 'offense' attack, because regardless of the situation they will loose all diplomacy/favor with all other countries. Governments play on peoples fears and scare them with all this nuke talk.
Yeah I'll take that bet, Iran won't use nuclear weapons even if they do manage to make them. Like all countries that want this technology, its for the sole purpose of being used as a deterrant. Nations can't walk all over you/take advantage of you when you have the ability to strike back with equal force. Thats all it is. And countries that do have nuclear weapons don't want to relinquish their position of power in the world by allowing others to obtain it.

In short, my belief is, if X country/countries don't want other nations making nukes, give up their own nuclear programs completely and then those other nations might be willing to have a discussion.
just my .02
Old 01-12-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
Drunklight
Da`Kor

i would agree thats possible, but you got the wrong country to claim it about, going to lay of the subject
Old 01-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
Papa

Lightbulb Re: i KNEW it!!

edit:
My limited amount of common sense has told me:

Keep politics out of the guild.

Last edited by Papa; 01-14-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #12
Wophat
Da`Kor

As a side note to DL's comment about the world ending in 2012- the mayans (who had a more advanced and accurate calendar than anyone to this day) predicted that the end of the would would occur on december 12th, 2012. Maybe DL is right!
Wophat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #13
Demetrius
Da`Kor

Pretty sure this is what will happen:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/end.php
Demetrius Marsupial - GW2 (Maguuma) Active!
------------------------------------------------
Demetrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #14
Bastila

dec 21st 2012, some say 22nd.

http://www.levity.com/eschaton/Why2012.html
Bastila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #15
Papa

Post Re: i KNEW it!!

US threatens Iran as troops plan attacked

By Toby Harnden, Damien McElroy and Thomas Harding
Last Updated: 2:07am GMT 13/01/2007

America delivered a thinly-veiled threat to Iran yesterday, declaring that it would not "stand idly by" if Teheran continued to arm Iraq's insurgents.

George W Bush cries during a medal ceremony for a Marine killed in Iraq

As President George W Bush digested the reaction to his plan to send another 21,500 troops to pacify Iraq, his administration escalated the pressure on Iran.

In Iraq's northern city of Irbil, US forces raided an office housing Iran's representatives. Six Iranians were arrested and documents seized. The operation infuriated Teheran, which said the office enjoyed diplomatic protection. But American officials said Iranians agents were covertly aiding Shia militias and meddling in Baghdad's new government.

In Washington, Condoleezza Rice, the US secretary of state, told the Senate foreign relations committee that Iran and Syria were "de-stabilising" Iraq and said that America would respond.

"I don't want to speculate on what operations the United States may be engaged in, but you will see that the United States is not going to stand idly by," she said.

America's new plan for Iraq depends on the attitude of Baghdad's government under Nouri al-Maliki, the Shia prime minister. Success will hinge on whether he is willing to act against militias drawn from his Shia power base.

Miss Rice had a tough warning for Mr Maliki. "I think he knows that his government is, in a sense, on borrowed time, not just in terms of the American people but in terms of the Iraqi people," she said.

Last month, the Iraq Study Group comprising some of America's most senior statesmen recommended a conciliatory approach towards Iran and Syria coupled with a gradual withdrawal of US forces from Iraq. Mr Bush has adopted the opposite course.

His decision has stirred great unease. Chuck Hagel, a Republican senator, called Mr Bush's move the "most dangerous foreign policy blunder since Vietnam".

Dennis Kucinich, a Democratic congressman and presidential candidate, asked: "Isn't one war enough for this president?"

With American troop levels about to rise, Des Browne, the Defence Secretary, confirmed The Daily Telegraph's report that thousands of British forces were set to leave.

"Over the course of the this year, we can expect to see a reduction in our troops by a matter of thousands," he told MPs.

This withdrawal would allow forces to be transferred to Afghanistan, where the onset of spring is expected to bring a renewed offensive by the Taliban.

But the prospect of British troops leaving southern Iraq has left Sunni leaders fearing for their lives.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...12/wiraq12.xml
Old 01-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #16
Papa

Post Re: i KNEW it!!

US forces turn on Iranians

By Philip Sherwell in New York, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 12:38am GMT 15/01/2007

President George W Bush has ordered US forces to launch a military offensive against Iranian officials and Revolutionary Guards officers behind a support and funding network for anti-American fighters in Iraq.

Mr Bush signed the clandestine directive after he was given new intelligence on the scale of Iranian operations to foment violence in Iraq.

US troops were operating under the new instructions when they raided an Iranian "liaison office" in northern Iraq last week, detaining five men, in the latest showdown with Teheran's agents.

The swoop, which was condemned by Iran and its political allies in Iraq, came less than two weeks after a senior Revolutionary Guards commander was seized in another raid near Baghdad with documents linked to the bloodshed. It has fuelled fears of direct armed clashes between US forces and Iranian operatives.

In a further development, US intelligence has learnt that the Shia-led Islamic regime is backing Sunni insurgents in Iraq, as well as the murderous militia operated by its fellow Shia clerics.

Iran's policy of pursuing "managed chaos" in Iraq is mainly conducted by the Revolutionary Guards' Quds (Jerusalem) Force, the military's foreign arm, which also supports the Shia Hezbollah in Lebanon and the Sunni Hamas in the Palestinian territories.

Shia and Sunni armed factions have for months been fighting a vicious sectarian conflict, murdering thousands of civilians. But the top Quds commander arrested late last month - known by the alias Chizari - was carrying documents that showed links with both sides, according to a senior official.

It comprised "a smoking gun," he told The New York Sun. "We found plans for attacks, phone numbers affiliated with Sunni bad guys, a lot of things that filled in the blanks on what these guys are up to," he said.

One document contained a Quds assessment of the Iraqi conflict that throws fresh light on the growing battle between Iran and Saudi Arabia for influence in the region. It said that because Iraq's Sunni neighbours - including Saudi Arabia - were likely to intensify their support for Sunni insurgents in Iraq, Iran should also step up its aid to those groups.

Iran has set up a network of fake import-export companies in Iraq's Anbar province to channel funds to Sunni fighters, The Sunday Telegraph has learnt.

At secret meetings, tribal sheikhs with close ties to the insurgents revealed details of the money-laundering to Michael Rubin, a former Pentagon official and political adviser to the Coalition Provisional Authority.

"Truckloads of Iranian appliances like televisions are shipped into Iraq, apparently legitimately, and then sold for cash that can be channelled to Sunni insurgents," said Mr Rubin, now at the American Enterprise Institute think-tank. "The Iranians are very pragmatic about who they will deal with.

"The underlying assumption of those like Tony Blair and the Iraq Study Group, who back talks with Teheran, is that a stable Iraq is somehow in Iran's interests. But that's not so. Iran does not want a new Somalia on its borders, but nor does it want to live next to Switzerland. They are happy with managed chaos."

Iran has worked with individuals linked to al-Qa'eda-related groups responsible for some of the worst atrocities against Iraqi Shias, including the attack on the Golden Mosque in Samarra last February.

Alireza Jafarzadeh, the Iranian exile leader who first revealed Teheran's secret nuclear programme to the world, has compiled a dossier detailing the vast network run by Quds in Iraq. Its operations are centred on Basra and Najaf, and use a series of supposed religious and cultural organisations as well as diplomatic consulates across the country to develop, fund and arm militia and rebel groups.

Thousands of Shia militiamen have reportedly travelled to Iran for training and indoctrination, while Quds sends millions of dollars cash in the other direction each month, through diplomatic pouches and border crossings it controls.

British and American officials have also identified Iran as the source of the materials and manufacture of a new, more lethal variety of roadside bomb that has claimed coalition lives.

"New information from sources in Iran further confirms that the Revolutionary Guards Corps and its notorious Quds Force are the biggest threat inside Iraq," said Mr Jafarzadeh. "Unless Iran's influence is curbed, its agents arrested and brought to justice and its proxies exposed, a genuine national unity government cannot take shape in Iraq."

In a sign of Iran's influence at the highest levels in Baghdad, the Quds Force commander captured by US forces last month was released at the insistence of the Iraqi government. He was said to have diplomatic status.

Condoleezza Rice, the US secretary of state, revealed in an interview published yesterday that President Bush had signed the order authorising force to break Iranian networks in Iraq.

She said: "I don't think there is a government in the world that would sit by and let the Iranians, in particular, run networks inside Iraq that are building explosive devices of a very high quality, that are being used to kill their soldiers."

Some Democrats have accused Mr Bush of using events in Iraq as an excuse to plan military action against Iran. His spokesman, Tony Snow, denied that any "war preparations were underway", but said the president was determined to defend US forces.

Iran later demanded the immediate release of the five captives, who it says are diplomats "involved in consulate affairs".

Iran also demanded compensation for damage to the Iranian liaison office where the men were seized.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...14/wirq114.xml
Old 01-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #17
Papa

Angry Re: i KNEW it!!

http://www.savage-productions.com/Le...op_family.html
Old 01-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #18
Papa

Muslims cite discrimination in denial of flight

By Audrey Hudson
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
January 17, 2007

An Islamic civil rights group is calling for an investigation to determine why 40 Muslims were not allowed to board a flight from Germany to Detroit after their pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
Northwest Airlines officials said the passengers arrived too late to catch the flight, but some of the Muslims, appearing at a press conference yesterday with the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), called it religious discrimination.
The Muslims arrived at the Frankfurt airport at 7:30 a.m. Jan. 7 on a charter plane from Saudi Arabia. They did not show up at the ticket counter until about 20 minutes before the Detroit-bound Flight 51 left at 10:20 a.m., said Dean Breest, a Northwest Airlines spokesman.
The airline industry and governmental agencies have check-in and boarding deadlines to help ensure on-time departures, and Northwest Airlines policy states that passengers must check in for international flights at least 60 minutes before departure and be aboard the aircraft at least 30 minutes before departure.
"The rules are the rules," said Roman Blahoski, spokesman for Northwest Airlines. "It does not matter who they are; they would be turned away because the flight had already closed."
Mr. Blahoski said, "Northwest takes these accusations very seriously," but "these passengers were denied boarding because they did not meet the standard check-in deadline."
Imam Sayed Hassan Al-Qazwini of the Islamic Center of America in Dearborn, Mich., told reporters that the travelers, who included two imams, were stranded and left on their own to find flights home.
Mr. Breest, however, said those who arrived at the gate in time with boarding passes were allowed onto the plane, and that those who could not be accommodated were rescheduled for other flights.
"It has nothing to do with religion, but when you have to be on the plane," Mr. Breest said. "They just were not there in time.
"We're sorry, but we did get them to the next destination as soon as possible. We were still able to process some of them and get them on the flight, then rebooked the rest of the group the same day for flights via Amsterdam."
Mr. Al-Qazwini demanded an apology from the airline as well as unspecified compensation.
If the airline does not meet their demands, Mr. Al-Qazwini said, he may call for a Muslim boycott of Northwest.
In November, six imams who were removed from a US Airways flight after exhibiting suspicious behavior called for a boycott of that airline. The Muslims retained CAIR as their legal representatives and have threatened to file a lawsuit.
US Airways spokeswoman Andrea Rader said: "We're in contact with them but we have no resolution."
Old 01-18-2007, 11:13 PM   #19
Alecto

Originally Posted by Papa View Post
Muslims cite discrimination in denial of flight

If the airline does not meet their demands, Mr. Al-Qazwini said, he may call for a Muslim boycott of Northwest.
"
Would be interesting to see whether they lose business from something like this or gain a massive amount from everyone wanting to book a flight with them.
Alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:42 PM   #20
Wanton
Da`Kor Officer

Send a message via AIM to Wanton

Problem isn't them using it. The problem is them giving it to someone else that will.

Saddam/Uday/Whathisface should of all be shot in 1990. We just put it off for 13 years and paying for it. Happened before and will happened again.