DaKor.Net

Go Back   DaKor.Net > Public > General Discussion

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Faticus
Da`Kor Officer

Default New labtop

So I'm looking into buying a new labtop since the motherboard on my old one got fried. I have bought a desktop since then but find myself wanting to have something to bring with me on occasion. Now although they aren't ideal for gaming I was considering getting a mac. But I figured even with the discount I would get, a different system would offer more at less cost. I am not really interested in building my own even though I know it would be cheaper. So wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations in the prebuilt area. I guess I was looking to spend at the most 2k. My goal is to use my current system purely media and surfing. And the labtop I'd like to be able to "dock" it into my 42 inch LCD in my room or just pick it up and go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Runihura
Da`Kor

Send a message via AIM to Runihura
I have a hypersonic and it has treated me well. (www.hypersonic-pc.com) I think OCZ may have bought the company and gave it a work over although I am not sure about that. I was thinking of upgrading mine and I was considering an Alienware. I saw that they recently added a new model for around 800 dollars (M11 or something like that). The next model up which has pretty good reviews starts around 1200 dollars. The one thing I learned from my previous purchase is that a 17 inch laptop is just too darn big for my taste, and the next one I purchase will be a 15 inch.
Runihura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Faticus
Da`Kor Officer

Well the size of the monitor is the least of my concerns especially since i plan on just hooking it up to my lcd when i am home. I just want something beasty but also portable.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
Kerthud
Da`Kor

Well if your planning on spending 2k or less that atleast keep in mind the average amount of cores a game can use as max. Isn't it like two? For example wow can only run off of two cores?

The whole new CPU that intel made is confusing as fuck to understand in my opinion. Because like the quad core doesn't run all four cores at once unless the program is stressing the computer. So like for example i5>i7 for everyday regular web surfing and small programs. Even though i5 has a higher potential running speed i7 runs big programs better with its small max frequency because of its bigger 6m cache size.

(IF SOMEONE WANTS TO EXPLAIN THE NEW CORES BETTER FEEL FREE i've been looking at them and trying to compare whats what. Intel is starting to make it so bigger numbers doesn't simply mean better)

Before you buy a computer make sure your clear on the whole new cpu kinds by Intel and their video capabilities. Supposidly they are some of the "best" CPU's on the market at the moment. Claiming to be way better than apples (which i wouldn't doubt).

Last edited by Kerthud; 03-12-2010 at 12:15 AM. Reason: I like oranges more than apples, unless its juice of which i like both.
Kerthud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Faticus
Da`Kor Officer

Well alienware is the labtop I had that the motherboard fried. So myrelationship with them is a bit negative at the moment. I also know alot of people that have had issues with them. And let's be honest, warantees are great but they are just a hassle. I don't want to buy a product that's going to break after the first few months of use.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
Runihura
Da`Kor

I don't know about others experiences with hypersonic products, but as for the laptop I have, I have had it for 6 years and have not had any problems with it (other than trying to update the video driver). When I purchased it I paid 2200 dollars and it has lasted this long without any major issues. My brother also bought one and he hasn't had any problems with his and has had it for 4 years. Asus has been getting some good reviews on some of their laptops, and just for shit and giggles there is the Acer Ferrari which is one of the slickest looking laptops I've seen and it seems to get pretty decent reviews but its not a beasty gaming machine.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:37 AM   #7
Arnwolf
Da`Kor

Originally Posted by Faticus View Post
Well alienware is the labtop I had that the motherboard fried. So myrelationship with them is a bit negative at the moment. I also know alot of people that have had issues with them. And let's be honest, warantees are great but they are just a hassle. I don't want to buy a product that's going to break after the first few months of use.
First of all, the manufacturers all get their components from the same cheap ass companies, and in many cases, have their computers built by exactly the same people.

So unless you're going with pricey boutique systems or Apple, don't shop around among the big manufacturers for better quality, you won't find it.

There really is NO better Bang for your Buck portable right now, than the Alienware M11x, imo. Check it out...

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/noteb...1x&cs=19&s=dhs
Arnwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
Faticus
Da`Kor Officer

I'd be willing to give alienware another try with the m11x but just from what I have read the i5 is so much more beefy than the processor they are including. Granted, other then Gaming I doubt I will be using it for much, and because i use multiple computers, I rarely am running multiple programs on the same system at the same time.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Runihura
Da`Kor

Faticus,

Just curious, because I am looking at possibly buying one, how long did you have your Alienware laptop before your motherboard fried?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
Faticus
Da`Kor Officer

about a year and a half. I think I found the Laptop i want though. Take a look, its back ordered currently and for good reason. Tell me what you think. http://http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10012171
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Kerthud
Da`Kor

Looks like an excellent choice in my opinion, although kind of expensive (Maybe slightly over priced).

My question is though, is quad 1.60 threaded really that great? Is a quad 1.60 better than a dual 3.6? or 3.0? The unit relies on the combination of Intel Turbo Boost technology and Intel Hyper-Threading technology to activate full processing power exactly where and when you need it most.

Every choice of spec in the computer looks great my only question would be the processor and the price.

The site had this written on the top "A wise man learns by the mistakes of others, a fool by his own. - Latin Proverb"
Old 03-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
Runihura
Da`Kor

Looks pretty bad-ass to me, but I don't know all the ins and outs of the processors out there these days.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:28 AM   #13
Faticus
Da`Kor Officer

i7 is top of the line right now as far as i know. Prolly more than I will need, and will probably drain the life of the laptop pretty fast. i5 would probably be better if you plan on using it mobile. I have seen these specs(or close to) on other premade models and they are asking 2400+. Not to mention it comes with a backpack and razor mouse. I was also looking at the Envy 15 series which has that macbook pro case and feel to it, but the price of the Asus just looks to good to pass up.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
Kerthud
Da`Kor

Alienware = Dellware with alienware Brand name. Remember that Dell bought out what alien ware used to be. This is one reason I wouldn't purchase an a-ware computer. Also could be why the other computer fried so soon. Dell is great at making mediocare computers REALY cheap.

P.S. I wish d3 would come out sooner. If you play codmw2 on pc or 360 message me on steam almost always willing to kick but. Though this week is mid-terms and I'm kind of time straped. And my roomates' live account is BlackTomClancy if you message live make sure to mention dakor.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
Faticus
Da`Kor Officer

I just started dabbling in WoW again. Even though i despise the game still somewhat, it really is the best MMO out there right now. Aion was terrible, beautiful, but terrible. Wow you have AT LEAST 20 abilities. Aion you had like 5. And pvp although still unbalanced, at least you can see what your fighting before the graphics start glitching out and you have someone flying above you shooting while your a melee. SC2 and D3 cant come soon enough!!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
Vendrix
Da`Kor Officer

I pretty much hated everything about Aion.
<Dowd> wow, that video could have been the worst thing ive ever heard
Vendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:09 AM   #17
Arnwolf
Da`Kor

Originally Posted by Kerthud View Post
Alienware = Dellware with alienware Brand name. Remember that Dell bought out what alien ware used to be. This is one reason I wouldn't purchase an a-ware computer. Also could be why the other computer fried so soon. Dell is great at making mediocare computers REALY cheap.
eh, that's not so much true. Alienware has their own design engineers still, different parts quality standards, etc.
Arnwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #18
Kerthud
Da`Kor

Originally Posted by Arnwolf View Post
eh, that's not so much true. Alienware has their own design engineers still, different parts quality standards, etc.
Thats all fine and dandy as long as your ok with knowing those regulations are Regulated by Dell to meet an image the actual Alienware created.