DaKor.Net

Go Back   DaKor.Net > Public > World of Warcraft

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Rhianna

Question Questions about PvE, please help

Hello all,

I am not a member, but play on Executus and seriously considered asking to join DaKor because of the quality playmanship I experienced adventuring with some of your members. When I came here and learned that your guild is PvE focused, I decided against it.

I do not at all intend any offense in this question, but it is a question I have never had answered and it bugs me constantly:
Why come to a PvP server if you're not going to PvP?
Actually, there is a much broader question that I also have never found an answer to, namely:
What is the allure of PvE, especially end-game instances, at all?
Clearly, I am a PvP player. I feel the best game to be had is against other humans. PvE is sometimes boring. Sometimes very boring. And in most cases, with instance dungeons, incredibly, mind-numbingly boring. It makes the game more work than play, hacking and hacking at predictable, artificially tough mobs. And end-game instances are, to me, the most insanely boring tasks of them all. Though I can see some interest in coming up with a plan and working together to succeed, each individual involved has only one thing to do with no room for creativity. It becomes an exercise in marching in step and pressing your one contribution button. OMG is that dull.

MC has good loot, of course. But the purpose of loot is to prepare you for bigger challenges. PvP can be one of those challenges. If there is nothing beyond MC or Onyxia, what is the use of getting to the top? To get more stuff to... do it all again? What's the point?

If anyone would be so kind as to provide me some insight into these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks much!
Rhianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Clive
Da`Kor

Send a message via AIM to Clive
Default Re: Questions about PvE, please help

Especially in the higher instances (BWL and AQ), there is a certain level of strategy, teamwork, and precision that must be acheived to conquer the dungeon's challenges. I might ask you, what's the point of PVP? What's the point of getting to the top? The only things you really achieve are status and loot, which is exactly what we achieve through PVE.

At the same time, however, we compete against other humans around the world do defeat PVE content. Anyone with enough time on their hands can climb to the top of the PVP ladder, but it takes strategy and teamwork to defeat new PVE content. And in response to...
If there is nothing beyond MC or Onyxia, what is the use of getting to the top? To get more stuff to... do it all again? What's the point?
Blizzard is always working on new content, and there is progress after MC and Onyxia.

Edit:
We will PVP, it's just not our primary focus.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
Vittra
Da`Kor

Simple Answer?

We are primarily a raid guild, PVP is to supplement it, not to replace it.

Long Answer?

PvP in this game isn't much more exciting than PvE after awhile. 1v1 there is a certain balance of which classes can beat which, almost always. World PVP was destroyed by BGs, and BGs are pretty boring like the instances you dislike. Not to mention the grind to Rank14 is far worse than any PvE grinding this game has through at us thus far. It isn't fun either. Most people that reach Rank14 Never PVP again or do so rarely.

With that said, PVP to most of us is fun and you'll be seeing ALOT of us doing it. It's not going to replace the main focus of this guild though.

Last edited by Vittra; 04-30-2006 at 05:31 PM.
Vittra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
Demetrius
Da`Kor

Originally Posted by Rhianna
Our server was lame. And by lame, I mean LAME

PvP is an intergral part of this game, and it was not too prominent on our old server. Also, the community was very deadbeat and we all wanted something new and fresh.

Originally Posted by Rhianna
What is the allure of PvE, especially end-game instances, at all?
Teamwork and accomplishments. In many end game encounters it takes countless hours of preparation, strategy discussions, repair money... etc. When the time comes and you finally beat encounter X or boss Y, there is a major sense of accomplishment...

... plus you get some shinies (but that is just the icing).

I don't think you're going to have to worry much about us *not* PvPing... we will PvP, but our main goals are PvE related.
Demetrius Marsupial - GW2 (Maguuma) Active!
------------------------------------------------
Demetrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
Elsington
Da`Kor

My answer is simple.

Leveling on a PvP server makes you better in PvE. And it's fun to have more to do than log on and raid every night.

"The light is my bitch, I shall not want. Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death, I have M'uru in a vial, and I can see juuuuust fine."
Elsington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Stryken
Da`Kor

2300+ frostbolt crits without any trinkets or buffs= pvp pwnage. THAT comes from pve
Old 05-01-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
Rhianna

Thank you all... very good points.

Including some points that I had not considered, like the fact that PvP gets tiresome too after a while. And that BGs sort of neutralize a lot of it.

I'm guessing that knowing your team contributes a lot to the fun of endgame instances. I'm not trying to sound down, just making an observation. During those times I ran MC in the past, it was always with a large group of strangers that cared more about filling positions than meeting a goal as a team.

The fact that you guys still enjoy PvP as an accessory to PvE makes a lot of sense to me.

Anyway, very constructive. Thank you for the input!
Rhianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #8
Colleen

Originally Posted by Vittra
Simple Answer?

We are primarily a raid guild, PVP is to supplement it, not to replace it.

Long Answer?

PvP in this game isn't much more exciting than PvE after awhile. 1v1 there is a certain balance of which classes can beat which, almost always. World PVP was destroyed by BGs, and BGs are pretty boring like the instances you dislike. Not to mention the grind to Rank14 is far worse than any PvE grinding this game has through at us thus far. It isn't fun either. Most people that reach Rank14 Never PVP again or do so rarely.

With that said, PVP to most of us is fun and you'll be seeing ALOT of us doing it. It's not going to replace the main focus of this guild though.
QFT~

PvP on Stormrage has dulled too much. World PvP is hardly ever around anymore. I've grinded a druid on alliance side to rank 13 and a priest to rank 13 on horde side. On my druid, I had the most fun doing world pvp way back when. When WSG came out it took most of the world pvp away even though the pvpers kept it alive and were ALWAYS hitting up XR and Orgrimmar in between queues. The downfall of pvp on Stormrage came when you queue'd you were sent back to the city you queue'd for. IMO, that was stupid, but they put it in anyway. Since then there has been no world pvp except for a few hordies like BoTH owning the deeprun tram up. PvP has become too dull for me. Doing WSG after WSG after WSG all day long is lame even though that's the best honor accumulation with instant queues on horde side.

As Demetrius said, "In many end game encounters it takes countless hours of preparation, strategy discussions, repair money... etc. When the time comes and you finally beat encounter X or boss Y, there is a major sense of accomplishment... " which says it all. PvE is a lot harder to accomplish than PvP. PvP is for fun, if you have the time, you rank up easy regardless of skill, you just need a team that can beat the other teams. Nowadays I do PvE on my druid and PvP on my priest, I like PvE better at the moment because the countless WSG games are boring and tiring..too much of a good thing gets sickening as most of you will agree. That's my point of view. Hope you're having fun on Executus Da'Kor.

Last edited by Colleen; 05-02-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:22 AM   #9
Berse

Send a message via ICQ to Berse Send a message via AIM to Berse Send a message via MSN to Berse Send a message via Yahoo to Berse

part of the fun pf end game PVE raiding is the teamwork aspect. everyone doing there part. that having to rely on teh person next to you. adds to the whoel experienced and when you are done you get a good feeling of acomplishment. cant solo those things. but PVP you can do wuite well as a soloist. even in groups unless your in a organized pvp raid you are gonna be solo. maybe team with 2-3 others in teh raid and do your thing but not really the same thing.
Berse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
Biohazard

My only question is, are you going to make BG part of the schedueled raids, or are the raids constant PvE. I would like to see atleast a couple guild raids of BG. It makes it more fun when you win with all the people you know. This server is small, and world PvP is nearly non-existant, but once a week Guild AV day would be great. Gives us all the chance to improve our PvP skills, fame, and loot together. Thats what a guild is about. Teamwork.
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
Mulberry

Originally Posted by Biohazard
My only question is, are you going to make BG part of the schedueled raids, or are the raids constant PvE. I would like to see atleast a couple guild raids of BG. It makes it more fun when you win with all the people you know. This server is small, and world PvP is nearly non-existant, but once a week Guild AV day would be great. Gives us all the chance to improve our PvP skills, fame, and loot together. Thats what a guild is about. Teamwork.

we have a demanding raid schedule, i dontk now what it will be like on Executus but i dont imagine it will be much different from SR. which means, 1-3 off/optional raids and the rest spent raiding from 7-11 at night. befour or after that there are guild BG groups. i know a few people who will be serious contenders for rank 14 and even just people who pvp for fun. after a long night of raiding people will want to relax in BG and some will run groups during the day.

keep in mind, this guild is not simply a pvp guild that calls itself and endgame pve guild by doing 20 man instances. we will be in molten core in a month or two, and soon after in bwl. who knows about aq. but when Nax comes out, expect us there 3 nights a week suffering wipes, player burnouts and most likely drama.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #12
Biohazard

Good deal.
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote